Sunday, 13 May 2012

BLUR TO PLAY MARGATE WINTER GARDENS GIG?



It's been reported that Blur will be playing a warm-up gig at the Margate Winter Gardens on the 1st August, according to music webzine this This Is Fake DIY. In the first of just four shows believed to be a dry run in preparation for Blur's massive Olympics closing show at Hyde Park, this is a real coup for the management team at the Margate Winter Gardens and should be a real cause for celebration.

Bringing the Britpop legends to the seaside is an enormously exciting prospect, to say the least. Blur have always flirted with a mod sensibility (Fred Perry, Ben Sherman, etc.) so to swing into Margate – with its reputation alongside Brighton as being a playground for brawling mods and rockers back in the 1960s – is a truly historic moment for Margate and comes as a complete surprise to me.

I saw Blur's Hyde Park reunion gig back in 2009 and it was genuinely one of the best gigs I have ever been to. The atmosphere was electric, the whole crowd was unified in song, so I'm pretty confident that a gig at Margate Winter Gardens will be similarly earth-shattering. It could be an incredible occasion.

Do you want to buy tickets? Well, you're going to have to be very quick off the mark! Tickets will cost £35 + plus booking fees. If you've already signed up to Blur's fan mailing list (which I have!), you'll be able to get advance tickets at 9am on Wednesday 16th May from Blur.co.uk (ahead of the general sale date on Friday 18th May). You can find out more information here.

I don't know about you, but I'm completely shocked about this announcement, but obviously delighted at the same time! Blur are one of my all-time favourite bands and I certainly didn't expect they could be landing on our very own doorstep for a warm-up gig. I wonder who their support is going to be...?

I guess it just goes to show... it really really really could happen!



Image of Blur © Spencer Hickman via Flickr and licensed for reuse. The inclusion of the image is not an endorsement of this post.

11 comments:

  1. how do i get a ticket or 2?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your best bet is to go onto www.blur.co.uk and 'sign up' to their mailing list. You'll then receive an email on Tuesday telling you how you can book advance tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will actually travel home from Perth WA to be at this gig, I love the winter gardens for a gig it's got something about it. A few beers along the seafront and a great sense of the MOD era and an awesome gig with well a band that means a lot to a people. Bring it on Alban, Coxon, James & Rowntree. That gig at Glasto 09' was special.
    Jamie from Ramsgate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope u enjoyed it mate it was awesome !

      Delete
  4. My first ever gig at winter gardens was ocean colour scene in Jan 97 and I still talk about that gig today. This gig blur are gonna play will be one of those gigs that will everyone that goes to it will be talking about for decades. Bring it on blur....
    Jamie from ramsgate

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Winter Gardens seems to be the venue of choice for doing warm up gigs. The Stereophonics and Kasabian are amongst the bands I saw a couple of years back when I worked there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw Blur supported by Pulp in a tiny venue in toronto canada in 1994 - one of my favourite gigs ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you know about this? It was made by Damon's dad.: http://www.britishpathe.com/video/fun-palace/query/Sixties

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who are blur, can someone hum one of their tunes for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IF YOU HAVE NOTHING SENSIBLE TO CONTRIBUTE, IT IS BEST TO SAY NOTHING, THEN YOU DON'T SOUND STUPID!

      Delete
  9. Tony, the question is who were Blur?

    Bypass the blur mailing list by goint to Eventim Ticket Alarm on the Eventim web site.

    ReplyDelete