Tuesday, 3 January 2012

SIR GALE OF CAMELOT

Congratulations to Roger Gale, Conservative MP for North Thanet, who was recently reported to have been given a knighthood in the New Year's honours list. As much I question Gale's political views  in particular his support for capital punishment  it has to be said that acting as a political representative for 28 years and winning no less than seven general elections with an average of 52.91% of the voter's share is nothing to be sniffed at.

I'm not sure how I feel about the honour's list, to be honest. I find it all rather elitist. Being someone who is rather ambivalent about the monarchy, I would feel a bit uncomfortable kneeling down in front of the Her Majesty the Queen. I'm sure she is a very nice lady but I wouldn't really want to kneel down in front of anyone, so it's nothing personal. I'd like to feel that I'm no-one's servant and feel uneasy with acts of deference and subservience. I'm my own man. The only person people should kneel down in front of is their own reflections, that's my view.

Then again, saying that, I'm sure my cynicism about the royal honours list would be tested if I got offered a knighthood or an OBE in years from now - would I accept it, or would I be a refusenik? The late author J.G. Ballard once refused a CBE by saying: "It goes with the whole system of hereditary privilege and rank, which should be swept away. It uses snobbery and social self-consciousness to guarantee the loyalty of large numbers of citizens who should feel their loyalty is to fellow citizens and the nation as a whole." 

Though I (sort of) share Ballard's view, I'm not sure if I could turn down a royal honour and not live to regret it. My grandparents considered themselves royalists  they're far more conservative and traditional than I  and they would probably be rolling in their graves if they knew I'd refused a royal honour and besmirched the Edwards family name. Would I be the sort of person who'd put principle aside and just accept a royal honour for my namesake? I'm not really sure. I guess it depends if I earn the bloody thing first, eh?!

Anyway, I'm sure Roger Gale will have no such qualms accepting his honour, so I'd like to offer him my congratulations. Personally I would've liked to have seen Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page get given a knighthood, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Let's hope he gets offered it before he ascends that stairway to Heaven.

15 comments:

  1. Keith Richards hasn't stopped going on about Mick Jagger's knighthood & how he's "sold out", though I'm sure that's jealousy more than anything. Not too sure whether Page deserves one or not, personally I'd give it to Brian May & / or Hank Marvin before him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Difficult to kneel down in front of your own reflection, unless you are in Narnia or Alice thro' the looking glass. The silly b^gger on the other side of the glass kneels down at the same time. Unless you know differently????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granted, Readit, but at least the reflection in the mirror would have the courtesy to kneel at the same time as me. Now that's what I call equality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will he now give us low class taxpyers back the Telly that cost £1000s on his expences?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not that I wish to defend him, but the 26" Phillips TV Roger Gale claimed on his expenses cost £549.99 on his expenses. He also claimed £875 on a new computer system. The Telly alone didn't cost '£1000s' as you claim, but when factored into everything else he claimed for, granted, I take your point. Just wanted to clarify that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roger Gale watched Margate fall through the floor and did nothing. For that, he should lose his seat and his pension.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roger Gale deserves his expenses account, he works harder than a lot people in Thanet that can't even be bothered to find a job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to break it to you, Anon 23:10, but I can think of 22,826 people who voted in the last general election who may disagree with you. The numbers who voted for Roger speak for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For every well known name who gets something in the honours list there are dozens of ordinary non-celebrity folk who are recognised for their efforts in a range of fields. Could be a private soldier mentioned in despatches for gallantry through to a cleaner lady who has given years of unfailing service.

    Generally people only whinge about awards to the well known for, human nature being what it is, we all reckon someone else deserved it more.
    After all, why did Ronnie Corbett, who is funny, get a CBE when Bruce Forsyth, who isn't, got a knighthood?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Luke they would vote for a donkey in in that seat (its all the old people in westgate) if it had a blue Rosette, if they bother to do some research and see how he has voted on things they might not have voted for him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 11:46 I know the odd donkey who is brighter and better company than some Labour MPs. To each his own, what?

    ReplyDelete
  12. 11:46, perhaps if Labour put up a half-decent opposition during elections then they might get some votes too. Last time it was hard to find out what the Labour candidate even looked like, let alone what he proposed for the area.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I seem to remember Michael Britton stood for Labour in the last general election, Peter. I only remember his name because I saw a photo of him on a flyer and he looked exactly like Uncle Monty from Withnail & I.

    ReplyDelete
  14. anon again!

    I have often commented on S. Moores blog, but, he is cracking up! Sourly scorned (like a female) after Lab took over the TDC. He hasn't even congratulated Sir Roger on his (imho deserved) Knighthood. Perhaps we can see a Lab Knight soon?
    Anyway, I have voted Lab for the past few decade and have staunchly defended them throughout hard times.
    Because the Tory (idiots?imho) took away a huge lump of my winter fuel donation, I have vowed never ever even contemplate voting for them. I do agree that the very rich (millionaires) and ex-pats who live in warmer climates (Spain, Italy USA, etc) should be deleted from the Winter Fuel lists. It's not fair!

    ReplyDelete