Thursday, 1 September 2011

FROM RUSSIA WITH GRUB

I saw a small chunk of the former Soviet Union sitting just on the edge of Thanet today, whilst driving home from work past the disused power station. This red sign with yellow hammer and sickles promoting CCCP Restaurant almost made me feel like I'd tumbled into a time vortex and materialised in some far-flung East European nation circa 1983, in the final decade of the Cold War era.

If it was intended to grab my attention, it certainly succeeded, and it has even got me curious about the restaurant itself. I may even pay them a visit and grab a takeaway one evening – it's certainly piqued my interest. Russian cuisine? I know that chicken kievs supposedly had their origins in... well... the Ukrainian city of Kiev, but other than that, I'm hard-pressed to think of any other Russian delicacies waiting to cleanse my pallete. Any ideas?

4 comments:

  1. err, Vodka,, the real Mcoy, not the watered down stuff we get over here,,,
    That will not only cleanse your pallet it will scour your insides as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup with dumplings of sufficient density to fell an elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two choices, Water flavour soup or Water flavour soup

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://restoran.us
    worldwide directory of the Russian restaurants

    ReplyDelete