Sunday, 18 September 2011

DID TURNER'S CURATORS LISTEN TO MY OPINION?!

DEXTER DALWOOD, The Poll Tax Riots, 2005
Oil on canvas, 98-1/2 x 134 inches (250 x 340 cm)
Copyright © Gagosian Gallery and used under these terms
Well, whaddya know! As I was strolling around Turner Contemporary's fascinating new exhibition Nothing in the World But Youth which launched yesterday, I saw this big canvas painting called Poll Tax Riots by artist and Turner Prize nominee Dexter Dalwood (see above). I'm a big fan of Dexter Dalwood's work and genuinely feel this painting – which originally appeared in the Gagosian gallery – fits in perfectly with Turner's youth-centric new expo so I was delighted to see it on display. 

What surprised me, though, is that I distinctly remember posting a comment on Turner Contemporary's Facebook page back in December 2010 which expressed my admiration for Dexter Dalwood's work and asked whether they could try and include him in any future art exhibitions. Believe it or not, at the time, I was even told that my request had been passed onto the curators.

So, as soon as I saw Poll Tax Riots hanging on the wall of the South Gallery, it got me wondering. Was it just a coincidence that Dexter Dalwood's painting appeared in the Nothing in the World But Youth exhibition, or did the Turner Contemporary's curators actually take my opinion onboard? Did what I say have some bearing upon Dexter Dalwood's inclusion in the gallery, or was it just mere happenstance? 

If you don't believe me, please take a look at the full Facebook exchange below (click to enlarge):

And there we have it. Obviously, I'm not arrogant enough to assume that an ordinary bloke like me could have possibly persuaded Turner's curators to include Dexter Dalwood's work on my urging alone, but if nothing else, I certainly feel validated. I mean, what are the odds?! I was agog when I saw Dexter Dalwood's painting staring back at me, I really was, especially considering its massive size. It almost made me feel like I'd had some small part to play in the creation of the exhibition itself, which only made my visit all the more rewarding, let me tell you. I was like a kid in a sweet shop. 

I'm going to write a more in-depth review exploring my thoughts on Nothing in the World But Youth at some point later this week. In the meantime, please pop and visit the Turner Contemporary and experience it for yourselves. There's plenty to see and I can't see any reason why anyone would leave feeling disappointed. 

I hope you enjoy seeing Poll Tax Riots by Dexter Dalwood up close as much as I did!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Luke
    What a great blog piece! We always take on board our vistors' feedback and we're really pleased that you've had an extra special experience at the exhibition. We look forward to reading your future piece about the show.
    With best wishes,
    Bryony Bishop from Turner Contemporary (the Facebook responder to your initial post)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to reading your review; I'm planning to write one myself, and it will definitely be interesting to compare thoughts about such a densely packed exhibition.

    ReplyDelete