Sunday, 1 November 2009

FUNNY MONEY

© Copyright Leigh Hamilton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
It turns out that on my travels, I've accidentally been given a foreign coin amongst the odd shrapnel in my pockets. It's exactly the same size as a 10p coin in pound sterling, only it has a weird-looking shield on the back with the words 'koztarsasag' and 'magyar' on it. Flipping the coin over, as you can see from the picture, you'll see it says it is 10 forint, whatever the bloody hell that is.


One quick Google search has, in fact, told me that it is a Hungarian coin. I can't quite figure out how much that'd translate into English money. I paid a quick visit to www.xe.com and (I may be wrong) but I think a 10 Hungarian forint coin may translate into being 1 English pound. Nevertheless, I may turn out to be monumentally wrong on that estimation, but feel free to correct me if I've made an enormous cock-up.

Regardless of how much it is, it does beg the question: What the bloody hell is a Hungarian coin doing in Thanet? I know we have Polish workers amongst us, but Hungarians?!?! That's news to me. Since this coin is the exact same size as a 10p piece, I'm reckoning that some lazy cashier has merely given it to me amongst my change thinking it's a 10p coin, without realizing (or checking) that it's actually foreign money.

Needless to say, if it is the equivalent of 1 British pound, then I've quite clearly made a profit, but like I said, I am a bit ignorant of foreign currencies, as I'm sure most of us are. I just thought the fact that I've been given foreign money on U.K. soil is strange enough to deserve a mention on this blog. So, if anybody can tell me exactly what my discovery is worth at the Bureau de Change, then please let me know. I'm secretly hoping it's worth a lot more. After all, I'm not gonna lie, I need all the money I can get.

3 comments:

  1. I've taught quite a few Hungarian students in Broadstairs this year, so maybe one of them unwittingly introduced it into Thanet's economy.

    As for needing money, I'm now in the same boat as of today. I'll be trekking down to the job centre tomorrow morning, which I'm sure will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magyar Kotarsasag is what you see written up at the Hungarian frontier and means something like Repoublic of Hungary. 10 Forints is worth very little but needs spending quickly as Hungary will start using the Euro soon. Hungarians do not earn very much so I'm sure the students were only trying to make their precious money stretch a little further - but perhaps that's unfair as I'm sure we've all noticed stray coins from foreign trips which turn up months later in suitcase or trouser pockets. Some airlines were collecting old foreign coins for charity but they probably need the money themselves this year towards their pension fund!

    ReplyDelete