Wednesday, 7 October 2009

DO PARDON THE SHAMELESS PLUG

I just thought I'd mention that I'm featured in YourThanet newspaper this week. It's free of charge, so you won't exactly have to dig in your pockets to grab one during your trip to the local supermarket, and you'll find me in the YourThanetBlogger section on page 12. You can also read it online. Of course, if you've read my blog before, you'll probably recognize the article itself, since it draws upon my previous blog entry on the Turner Contemporary and my concerns on whether conceptual art will be widely appreciated by my fellow Thanetians.

Needless to say, upon re-reading it in print, I couldn't help but realize that I put the boot into Tracey Emin (and not for the first time either), so it appears that Emin-bashing is becoming a recurring trend on this blog of mine. So much so, in fact, that an informant has told me on good authority that Emin's pink neon sign (which is allegedly due to be installed above Droit House) has been priced at £30,000. Doesn't anyone agree that there are better things we could be spending the money on? Anyway, I'm not one to pick up nasty habits, so I'm gonna have to try and change the subject more often in the future and stop moaning about Emin. But it's certainly nice to see myself in print, that's for sure, so I'd like to thank the editor Dave Mairs for making it happen. Let's hope it won't be the last time, eh?

In fact, Cllr. Clive Hart e-mailed me this morning to say: “I've just read your article on conceptual art in Yourthanet. An excellent balanced view and one that many living in Margate & Cliftonville will no doubt agree with. Keep it up!” Apparently, Clive tried to post it as a comment on this blog, but for some reason, it didn't work. Hmm, let's hope it's not something to do with that recent protocol proposed by Thanet District Council to prohibit and monitor councillors' blogging activities? Or maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Anyway, thank you very much for the support, Clive. I haven't quite run out of steam on the blogging front just yet, but all I am sure of is that I'm gonna try and leave Tracey Emin alone in future. The poor ol' girl has had a hard enough time as it is, what with her extravagant wealth being pillaged by the Inland Revenue. See? There I go again. Whoops. Anyway, if everyone could pick up a copy of YourThanet as a gesture of support for all of the bloggers on this fair Isle, then I'd be very appreciative. Ta ta for now.

8 comments:

  1. Well done young man. But please try and leave off the Tracey bashing. I think she is an asset for Margate and goodness knows Margate needs as many of those as it can get :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, yeah it must be lovely to cast off those short trousers and start banging on about stuff you don't really know anything about. For once I agree with ECR. WHOSE 30k is being spent anyway? Definitely not yours as you're still paying off your student loan anyway, so why get on your high horse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maisiegrace, I resent the implication that I shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion. Besides, read this: www.stuckism.com/childish/ThatTraceyEminThing.doc

    I think you'll find some out harsh truths about Tracey Emin in that. Anyway, Tracey's got a right to do what she wants, it's just her art's not my kinda thing, that's all. Regardless of what I think, I do agree she's an asset to Thanet, in the same way that a Bagpuss-hater would agree that Oliver Postgate was an asset to Thanet too.

    But god, there's no need to be nasty about it. It seems like you've come a long way from congratulating Tony Flaig for appearing on the BBC Politics show last year saying it illustrates "the importance of the voice that bloggers have, and it acknowledges their contribution."

    Why deny my contribution? Is it one rule for one and another for everybody else? Guess I must have touched a nerve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Say what you like, darling! I just think that the 'couldn't we spend the money better' argument is tired, and wrong in lots of ways. As is the misconception that Turner has anything to do with entertaining Thanetians.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Luke (& Clive) on this one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's unusual I thought it was Maisiegrace that had been the champion of "no negativity".

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is obviously adapting well to the local ways. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, sorry. Note to self - must stop behaving like a Thanetian.

    ReplyDelete