Thursday, 3 September 2009

READY, EDDIE, GO!


I feel compelled to remind you that '70s rock 'n' roll band Eddie and the Hot Rods are playing in Margate tomorrow evening at The Westcoast bar. It's quite exciting, I'm sure you'll agree. Doors open at 7:30pm and you should be able to pay for entry on the door (£12 per person), but I think you can buy advance tickets for £10 online here. Well, I can only bloody hope it hasn't sold out, otherwise I'll have to beg them on my hands and knees to let me in.

Nevertheless, if you've got nothing better to do, I highly recommend you go and see Eddie and the Hot Rods play, especially if, like me, you haven't seen 'em play live before. Obviously, I've heard of them, as I'm a big fan of punk rock (the classic stuff, not that Sum 41/Blink-182 hooey), so I've read up on Eddie and the Hot Rods and heard their songs on Spotify and iTunes. Technically, they were pub rockers like Dr. Feelgood and Graham Parker, but the punk explosion brought them commercial appeal in 1977 with their Top 10 hit "Do Anything You Wanna Do", if you're old enough to remember it.

I personally think it's great that Margate keeps pulling in the old punks and mods by booking bands like these, especially for somebody my age who wasn't even born to catch 'em the first time around. I think The Specials are playing at the Margate Winter Gardens in November, and Paul Weller in December, but I think both of these gigs sold out pretty quickly (which is hardly surprising really). I saw From The Jam play last year, and that was pretty special, so I'm a bit hacked off that I can't see The Modfather himself, but I suppose it's a bit late for regrets now, isn't it?

As you can tell, my musical taste is a little bit old-fashioned (garage rock, rock 'n' roll, punk, reggae, ska, etc.), otherwise I wouldn't be so excited about a bunch of old duffers like Eddie and the Hot Rods doing a gig pretty much on my own doorstep. But judging by a lot of the YouTube videos I've seen of their recent gigs, I think it'll be pretty special. Duffers or not, they still cut the mustard. In fact, as you can gather from the above YouTube video of “Get Out of Denver," I think they'd rock your freakin' socks off.

Anyway, I'm gonna try and scrape together the cash to go tomorrow night (lots of scrounging is probably required), but if anyone who reads this blog happens to be influential and can wangle me free entry, then I'd happily write a gig review as a favour of goodwill. Failing that, I'll just press my ear against the windowpane, put a safety pin through my nose, spike my hair up and have my own little private pogo party outside. I mean, honestly, would you blame me if I did? Of course not!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Luke, sorry I am a bit late doing this, difficult week just gone, I have added your blog to http://thanetblogs.blogspot.com/ so that people can keep up to date with posts and comment and put you on the sidebars of http://thanetonline.blogspot.com/ and http://thanetpress.blogspot.com/

    Anyway welcome to the dubious world of Thanet blogging. Sorry about the deletion I forgot to put in the hypertext so the links would appear and have done it again.

    ReplyDelete